From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New GPS &amp; Gentoo?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 23:37:11
1 On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 15:42 +0000, James wrote:
2
3 > > * Online searching
4 > usb and bluetooth, should interact with PC (running Gentoo?)
5
6 maybe. Sometimes they only tether with mobiles, but then you can make
7 your laptop look like a mobile by altering the device class
8 in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf I think.
9
10 > > * Camera with geotagging
11 > I did not see this anywhere, do tell me more....
12
13 Only seen it on the off-road or hiking models. The inbuilt camera
14 automatically tags your location into the exif data (as well as date,
15 time, etc). You can then upload it to the right spot on google maps
16 without you having to locate where you were at the time. The photo also
17 comes up as an icon on the map next time you go by.
18
19 > I was not looking for a GPS with wifi, although that would be
20 > keen, in lieu of pay for usage based services. I was looking for
21 > "points of interest" on the GPS device, with a "free wifi" GPS
22 > guide location. Surely something like this exist for mobile
23 > laptops, or do folks run some scanning package to find free wifi
24 > locations. A GPS coordinate registry for free wifi is more
25 > what I'm looking for. Very cool if it's built in or easily addable
26 > to the Garmin 1490T.
27
28 ah, I see. No doubt there is free wifi POI you can download. In my
29 experience, free WIFI doesn't determine where I go. If it's free when I
30 get there, then good, otherwise I'm there anyway!
35 Success is in the minds of Fools.
36 -- William Wrenshaw, 1578