From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:22:45
1 Steven Lembark wrote:
2 >> A downside is that you'll need fast machines to comfortably build
3 >> packages. I wouldn't use it on my Pentium 3 800Mhz for example. That
4 >> would take ages to compile system/world with recent GCC versions. I
5 >> guess GCC was much faster in the 2.x versions back then?
6 >
7 > How painful is it, really, to run the job when you
8 > are asleep or away from the machine? Cron the update
9 > or use "at" to get the changes you want when you are
10 > away from the console.
11
12 Well, to answer you question, it is very painful.