From: Michael Niggli <m.niggli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to use mplayer play file online?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:40:04
1 Chuanwen Wu wrote:
2 >> You have to download it as it has to be in RAM before mplayer can use
3 >> it.
4 >>
5 >> And you have to download the whole thing as it's a container file, not a
6 >> stream.
7 >>
8 > So, you mean mplayer can NOT play stream?
9 > As far as I know, mplayer can play file on a web(html) site.
10 > In "man mplayer", I can see that :
11 >
12 > Stream from HTTP:
13 > mplayer http://mplayer.hq/example.avi
14 >
15 > Stream using RTSP:
16 > mplayer rtsp://server.example.com/streamName
17 >
18 > So, I think there may be some ways to play mplayer from the ftp(or
19 > other protocol).
20 > Somebody work it out and suggested me to do it like this:
21 >
22 > wget ftp://THE_FTPSERVER/1.RM -O - | mplayer -cache 8192 -
23 >
24 > But I just failed every time I tried to do it in this way. Can you do
25 > it successfully?
28 Does the wget itself work, eg. does wget ftp://ftpserver/file.ext
29 download your file? If not, you may need to add some quoting... For
30 instance, the [ character should be quoted twice, once for the local
31 shell and once for the remote server (at least that was the case on a
32 quick test I did), so downloading a file called "[.ext" would become
33
34 wget 'ftp://ftpserver/\[.ext'
35
36 or
37
38 wget 'ftp://ftpserver/\[.ext' -O - | mplayer -cache 8192 -
39
40 Regards
41 Michael
42 --