From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:03:29
1 On 9 Feb 2010, at 13:57, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > ...
3 > With Raid (NOT striping) you can remove one disk, leaving the Raid-
4 > array in a
5 > reduced state. Then repartition the disk you removed, repartition
6 > and then re-
7 > add the disk to the array.
8
9 Exactly. Except the partitions extend, in the same positions, across
10 all the disks.
11
12 You cannot remove one disk from the array and repartition it, because
13 the partition is across the array, not the disk. The single disk,
14 removed from a RAID 5 (specified by Paul Hartman) array does not
15 contain any partitions, just one stripe of them.
16
17 I apologise if I'm misunderstanding something here, or if your RAID
18 works differently to mine.
19
20 Stroller.