From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:14:20
1 On Tuesday 09 February 2010 13:46:40 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 9 Feb 2010, at 00:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:34:01 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> Thanks for the info everyone, but do you understand the agony I am
5 > >> now
6 > >> suffering at the fact that all disk in my system (including all parts
7 > >> of my RAID5) are starting on sector 63 and I don't have sufficient
8 > >> free space (or free time) to repartition them? :)
9 > >
10 > > With the RAID, you could fail one disk, repartition, re-add it,
11 > > rinse and
12 > > repeat. But that doesn't take care of the time issue.
13 >
14 > Aren't you thinking of LVM, or something?
15 >
16 > Stroller.
19 Not sure where LVM would fit into this, as then you'd need to offload the data
20 from that PV (Physical Volume) to a different PV first.
21
22 With Raid (NOT striping) you can remove one disk, leaving the Raid-array in a
23 reduced state. Then repartition the disk you removed, repartition and then re-
24 add the disk to the array.
25 Wait for the rebuild to complete and do the same with the next disk in the
26 array.
27 Eg: (for a 3-disk raid5):
28 1) remove disk-1 from raid
29 2) repartition disk-1
30 3) add disk-1 as new disk to raid
31 4) wait for the synchronisation to finish
32 5) remove disk-2 from raid
33 6) repartition disk-2
34 7) add disk-2 as new disk to raid
35 8) wait for the synchronisation to finish
36 9) remove disk-3 from raid
37 10) repartition disk-3
38 11) add disk-3 as new disk to raid
39 12) wait for the synchronisation to finish
40
41 (These steps can easily be adapted for any size and type of raid, apart from
42 striping/raid-0)
43
44 I do, however, see a potential problem, if you repartition starting from
45 sector 64 instead of from sector 63, the disk has 1 sector less, which means
46 4KB less in size.
47 The Raid-array may not accept the re-partitioned disk back into the array
48 because it's not big enough for the array.
49
50 I had this issue with an older system once where I replaced a dead 80GB (Yes,
51 I did say "old" :) ) with a new 80GB drive. This drive was actually a few KB
52 smaller in size and the RAID would refuse to accept it.
55 Joost Roeleveld