From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:51:38
1 >> I currently use a free service to host the DNS records for my
2 >> website, but I'm thinking of running a DNS server on the same
3 >> machine that runs my website instead.  Would that be fairly trivial
4 >> to set up and maintain?  If so, which package should I use?
5 >
6 > The first question is Why?
7
8 My thinking was of the "may as well" variety but now it's sounding
9 like a very bad idea. Are there DNS hosts you guys particularly like?
10
11 - Grant
14 > There's no real benefit, it's a huge amount of work for little gain,
15 > you carry the cost of increased traffic yourself, and if that host
16 > goes blip, you not only lose access to the web server but to the
17 > entire zone as well.
18 >
19 > Technically there's no good reason why you can't co-host web and dns.
20 > However, depending on your upper level domain and registrar, TWO dns
21 > servers may be a requirement (this is the norm) and you propose only
22 > one. Where's the second one going to be? Only one is a very bad idea
23 > indeed.
24 >
25 > Your last two questions reveal that this is not something you are
26 > familiar with already, so I highly recommend you investigate
27 > everything thoroughly and fully understand just what you are letting
28 > yourself in for before deciding.
29 >
30 > If you simply don't like your current DNS provider, then finding a
31 > different one you do like is quite simple.
34 > --
35 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com