From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot see Grub menu
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 23:17:38
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 02:31:07PM +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>> So after the recent thread here about 32bit/64bit and some arguments
5 >>>>> from a friend, I made the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit (with a clean
6 >>>>> install from scratch of course). There’s one big problem I’m
7 >>>>> having: I cannot see the Grub (legacy) boot menu. It still
8 >>>>> functions alright, but I don’t see it.
9 >>>> […]
10 >>>> Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will
11 >>>> get a working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.
12 > Yes, I used to use a self-made spash image; it shows a Windows-Logo-like
13 > stickers saying "Windows Vista incapable" with a Tux in it. :)
14 >
15 > Anyways, the file was missing, so I commented out the line, but to no avail.
16 > I tried a temporary grub.conf with the bare essentials (just one entry), and
17 > it didn't help either.
18 >
19 > Booting the same disk in qemu yields the same thing. So I gather it must be
20 > some borkage in grub itself. Perhaps I could try an older version, there are
21 > so many available right now.
22 >
23 >>> When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
24 > ---------------------------------------^
25 > *cough* *wink wink*
26 >
27 >> I have always used GRUB splashimage without genkernel and without anything
28 >> special to get it going other than the correct path in /boot/grub/grub.conf;
29 >> e.g.
30 >>
31 >> default 0
32 >> timeout 30
33 >> splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
34 > That's the way I used to too also. Very strange this all...
37 Just a thought. Could it be that the text and the background is the
38 same color? If you put white text on a white background, all you see is
39 white which looks blank, empty or whatever you want to call it.
40
41 Otherwise, I'm clueless. It's OK. I'm used to being clueless. lol
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!