From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo from ext3 to ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:57:19
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
6 > (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
7 > an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
8 > on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use is
9 > gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want to
10 > boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
11 > than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
12 > system reboots.
13 >
14 > I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
15 > the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
16 > problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
17 > information because i can't get to a working shell :(
18 >
19 > Greetings,
20 > Niklas
21
22 Make sure you have /dev/console and /dev/null in place ... it's needed
23 *before* /dev is mounted over with tmpfs for udev.
28 Poison [BLX]
29 Joshua M. Murphy