From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:16:12
1 > > > > > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
2 > > > > > telepathy and a hots of others.
3 > > > > >
4 > > > > > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your
5 > > > > > hands on seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one
6 > > > > > I found stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of
7 > > > > > time, and not DEPEND on java.
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
10 > > > > > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
11 > > > > > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that
12 > > > > > the cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it
13 > > > > > was there, and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so
14 > > > > > much.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like
19 > > > > I would be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
20 > > >
21 > > > Just out of curiosity: why couldn't you use a Jabber client with
22 > > > Bonjour/Zeroconf support (all or most of them?) within the company
23 > > > (which is what this is for IIUC)? With Zeroconf, the Jabber clients
24 > > > "find each other", then you wouldn't need to bother with setting up a
25 > > > server.
26 > > >
27 > > > Or is Zeroconf problematic? I know Pidgin can do Zeroconf on Windows,
28 > > > even if you need to manually install a separate package for it to
29 > > > work.
30 > > >
31 > >
32 > > That doesn't really work when one fellow is at his desk in the office,
33 > > another at home on an ADSL connection and the third is a 3rd party dev
34 > > based in Los Angeles. That's quite common for me.
35 > >
36 > > Zeroconf has it's uses, but it does have a rather narrow scope as to
37 > > where it can work.
38 >
39 > I understand that, I just thought that Grant was talking about a purely
40 > internal chat solution (like my workplace has) - he did say "within a
41 > company" (though admittedly in retrospect I realize that that doesn't
42 > necessarily mean *physically* within the company).
43 >
44 > Regardless, it isn't clear to me that Grant is talking about something
45 that has
46 > to be available from anywhere. While he is apparently gravitating towards
47 a
48 > "cloud solution" for chat, my understanding is that that is because then
49 he
50 > doesn't have to manage his own server. All of the other solutions
51 mentioned
52 > could be for internal *and* external use.
53 >
54 > Anyway, I was just curious and thought that if this is purely for
55 internal use
56 > than Zeroconf might be a good server-less option for chat.
57
58 I should have specified that the people in the organization are spread out
59 in different locations.
60
61 It sounds like it is difficult/dangerous to run an internet-facing IRC
62 server and ejabberd is unstable?
63
64 Besides chat, has anyone tried egroupware?
65
66 - Grant