From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:31:27
1 On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> > > > > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
3 >> > > > > telepathy and a hots of others.
4 >> > > > >
5 >> > > > > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your
6 >> > > > > hands on seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one
7 >> > > > > I found stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of
8 >> > > > > time, and not DEPEND on java.
9 >> > > > >
10 >> > > > > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
11 >> > > > > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
12 >> > > > > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that
13 >> > > > > the cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it
14 >> > > > > was there, and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so
15 >> > > > > much.
16 >> > > > >
17 >> > > > > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
18 >> > > >
19 >> > > > Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like
20 >> > > > I would be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
21 >> > >
22 >> > > Just out of curiosity: why couldn't you use a Jabber client with
23 >> > > Bonjour/Zeroconf support (all or most of them?) within the company
24 >> > > (which is what this is for IIUC)? With Zeroconf, the Jabber clients
25 >> > > "find each other", then you wouldn't need to bother with setting up a
26 >> > > server.
27 >> > >
28 >> > > Or is Zeroconf problematic? I know Pidgin can do Zeroconf on Windows,
29 >> > > even if you need to manually install a separate package for it to
30 >> > > work.
31 >> > >
32 >> >
33 >> > That doesn't really work when one fellow is at his desk in the office,
34 >> > another at home on an ADSL connection and the third is a 3rd party dev
35 >> > based in Los Angeles. That's quite common for me.
36 >> >
37 >> > Zeroconf has it's uses, but it does have a rather narrow scope as to
38 >> > where it can work.
39 >>
40 >> I understand that, I just thought that Grant was talking about a purely
41 >> internal chat solution (like my workplace has) - he did say "within a
42 >> company" (though admittedly in retrospect I realize that that doesn't
43 >> necessarily mean *physically* within the company).
44 >>
45 >> Regardless, it isn't clear to me that Grant is talking about something
46 >> that has
47 >> to be available from anywhere. While he is apparently gravitating towards
48 >> a
49 >> "cloud solution" for chat, my understanding is that that is because then
50 >> he
51 >> doesn't have to manage his own server. All of the other solutions
52 >> mentioned
53 >> could be for internal *and* external use.
54 >>
55 >> Anyway, I was just curious and thought that if this is purely for internal
56 >> use
57 >> than Zeroconf might be a good server-less option for chat.
58 >
59 > I should have specified that the people in the organization are spread out
60 > in different locations.
61 >
62 > It sounds like it is difficult/dangerous to run an internet-facing IRC
63 > server and ejabberd is unstable?
64
65 This is what VPNs are for. I haven't really heard anything seriously
66 problematic about ejabberd outside of some folks dislike of adding
67 another language runtime.
68
69 Whatever you decide to run internally, you're going to need to become
70 knowledgeable in its administration. This is why a fair amount of
71 folks are outsourcing communications infrastructure. Few believe they
72 have the time to learn to manage the thing properly.
75 :wq