From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving an installed system to RAID10
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 20:43:33
1 On Samstag 02 Mai 2009, Jim Cunning wrote:
2 > I have a well-running AMD64 system running on a 250G disk that is beginning
3 > to show some SMART errors. I have purchased and partitioned two 1T disks
4 > into RAID10 arrays and would like to move everything to the new arrays,
5 > make them bootable and abandon booting from the 250G disk.
6 >
7 > I know I'll need to change /boot/grub/grub.conf, /etc/fstab and any other
8 > files that refer to my current drive partitions, /dev/sda{1,2,3,4}. I am
9 > concerned whether my current kernel will recognize the /dev/md{1,2,3,4}
10 > arrays on booting, and before switching from the initrd root disk. How can
11 > I check the parameters and contents of the initrd I'm currently using
12 > and/or generate a new one to permit booting from the RAID disks?
13
14 how do you do 10 with only two disks? You need four!
15 the kernel is able to autoassemble - so you don't need an initrd - me I hate
16 initrds.