From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 00:21:38
1 On Monday 25 December 2006 14:09, "Mike Myers" <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?':
3 > I understand the portage system enough to mask
4 > the packages I don't want, but then there's the problem of other updates
5 > requiring that package.
6
7 Well, either (a) the new version is required, so you'll have to upgrade to
8 the other package as well or (b) a developer was sloppy with dependencies,
9 and you need to file a bug to change them.
10
11 > Anyways, all I'm essentially asking for is a way to separate minor
12 > updates from major updates.
13
14 With some of the advanced atom operators (particularly '*' and '~'), you
15 should be able to specify exactly what level of masking you want. I
16 believe this is documented in 'man ebuild' but I'm not sure; 'man portage'
17 is a decent place to start your search for the atom syntax you need.
18
19 You could also make your own profile that does "cap" packges at a certain
20 version and have it's parent be an established profile, although I'm not
21 sure that bit of portage hackery is supported.
22
23 PS:
24 A: Because it reverses the order of the "conversation".
25 Q: Why is top-posting so annoying?
26 A: Top-posting.
27 Q: What's the most annoying thing on newsgroups and mailing lists.
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh