From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:13:31
1 Thanks for the responses everybody!
2
3 Boyd, if this is just not feasible in Gentoo for whatever reason, then I
4 guess I might switch. I understand the portage system enough to mask the
5 packages I don't want, but then there's the problem of other updates
6 requiring that package.
7
8 Ultimately, messing with portage is decent for a single system, but it
9 doesn't scale very well at all. Managing all these different versions of
10 the same software on different machines running the same OS can get
11 ridiculously time consuming, especially if they've gone a while without
12 updates. I know there are ways to better manage that, but those ways don't
13 work when the systems are at different locations and can't be centrally
14 managed.
15
16 Anyways, all I'm essentially asking for is a way to separate minor updates
17 from major updates. I don't understand why this sort of update management
18 is 'unusable'. If I let a system go without updates for say, a month, then
19 do a sync, then now I have like 200 things that need updated. Some are
20 minor, like say, firefox-2.0-r1 to firefox-2.0-r2. Then there are more
21 major ones like baselayout which almost completely changes how networking
22 and udev scripts work. The way it is now, all these updates are lumped
23 together like one big update. These kinds of updates in a short span of
24 time can be rough. Especially when these new updates require config
25 changes, instead of just using the old config. Like when Apache's install
26 was changed completely without any real warning. It was just tossed in
27 there as an update, right there with gvim. How am I supposed to know what
28 is and isn't going to get smashed? I mean, sure I can wait a while and look
29 at the forums and see other people having problems and then wait.. but why
30 should we allow these problems to be there in the first place?
31
32 As for switching, I might if better update management is truly considered
33 'unusable'. (???) I just want a usable system, and I'd prefer it to be
34 Gentoo.
35