From: Petr Kocmid <Petr.Kocmid@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub on a SATA drive
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:43:42
1 On Thursday 24 of November 2005 17:31, maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > But what do I call it? hd0 and hd1 are taken.
4
5 It may well depend on your chipset configuration, number of actually connected
6 drives and bios boot settings. On my board, there are 2 PATA and 1 SATA
7 channels on the same controller. In linux kernel, PATA is hda and hdb, SATA
8 is hdc, no matter what drives are actually connected. When i migrated my
9 installation from PATA hda to SATA hdc, grub detected hda as hd0 and hdc as
10 hd1 before, but once I removed parallel drive, SATA become hd0 in grub (but
11 still hdc in linux), since it is first (boot) bios drive. So I needed to fix
12 grub config to hd0 and change a root= kernel parameter to hdc, since grub
13 insists hd0 should be hda even if there is no drive connected on PATA:
14
15 root (hd0,0)
16 kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdc1
17
18 Also, I did grub setup on SATA MBS from booted grub shell, not in linux,
19 because what it sees is what it gets then.
20
21 Hope this may help you.
24 Petr
25 --