From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:06:54
1 On Sunday 08 January 2006 03:25, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 >
3 > So, there's documentation that specifically explains that packages can
4 > be split, and this can cause a conflict? I tried to find that, after
5 >
6 What? How is packages being split even comes in question and why does it need
7 "specific" documentation? A conflict is a conflict. It can arise because of
8 any new change that has been committed to portage. Man pages explain how to
9 solve these conflicts. Job done!
10
11 Now I don't understand how hand-picking each problem and then explaining about
12 it is going to help. Documentation about a super-set is present. How will
13 writing the same thing about each subset help the matter? If anything it will
14 just increase the redundancy. What you want is a how to on climbing the
15 stairs. Either you can write, "Climb 1st step and then go step by step" or
16 you can write "Climb 1st step, then climb 2nd step, then 3rd step, then
17 climb..."? Which one do you want?
20 > I dont' need most of gentoo's documentation, as I've found it quite
21 > easy to use, after learning and reading about a few basic things. But
22 > not everyone does.
23 >
24 Why? Why doesn't everyone else find Gentoo easy? What is it that differs you
25 from others? Some super intelligence? The only difference between you and the
26 others that I can see is that you chose to read while others don't.
27
28 Regards,
29 Abhay