From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 19:22:25
1 On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 19:25:11 +0100, antlists wrote:
2
3 > > Warning; that still does not change the fact that each individual file
4 > > cannot exceed 4G in size on regular FAT.
5 > >
6 > Warning 2: I did exactly that, and it LOOKED like it was working
7 > happily, until it overflowed some internal limit and my 1G card turned
8 > into a 128M card or whatever it was. Have you actually TESTED that card
9 > IN THE DASHCAM and made sure it can actually use that 128G? Or will it
10 > only be able to use 4G of that card?
11
12 There are a lot of SD cards with fake capacities, they appear to be large
13 but are actually a smaller card reprogrammed to do so. You only find out
14 when you go beyond the true capacity. There are tools to check this, such
15 as sys-block/f3.
16
17 Yes, I tested the card in the dashcam, it has been running reliably for
18 several years, including producing footage that the police used in their
19 prosecution of a drunk driver. I've also used a microSDXC card in a
20 camera, with an SD adaptor, with no issues.
21
22 > Oh - and 32GB cards are physically different from 128GB cards because
23 > they work to different standards.
24
25 They are, but the differences are minor so don't necessarily cause
26 compatibility issues. However, it is always worth making sure than the
27 card and camera are fully compatible before trusting it to anything
28 important.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal!