From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface problem
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:46:54
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> > > I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to get the system in question to
3 >> > > behave like a solid-state router that you can plug an ethernet jack
4 >> > > into and be on the network. How should eth1 and eth2 be configured
5 >> > > in /etc/conf.d/net ?
6 >> >
7 >> > They should be configured as part of a bridge device (see the
8 >> > bridging section of /etc/conf.d/net.example) and have the address
9 >> > assigned (and DHCPD listing on) that bridge device.
10 >>
11 >> Except that this doesn't work on WLAN (MAC layer done by the WLAN
12 >> adapter). But probably "proxy_arp" can help here. And subnet
13 >> separation, of course. Just extending the netmask a bit and enabling
14 >> proxy_arp would do the job. OTOH, it's also easy to configure the
15 >> routes to the other subnets via DHCP. Just a matter of taste. In any
16 >> case, it only works on IP layer.
17 >
18 > Sounds like I'm getting in over my head. I think it would be smarter
19 > for me to buy a $15 switch from NewEgg instead of trying to configure
20 > my Gentoo router to use its extra NICs this way. Is there any reason
21 > I wouldn't want to do that?
22 Use a switch. Using multiple interfaces to act as a switch is a waste
23 of a good interface. Interfaces are better used to isolate networks
24 from each other. I have one for my WAN, one for my LAN and one for my
25 WIFI LAN. The latter is a very restricted area in case somebody hacks
26 the WPA encryption on my WIFI, they still won't have real access to
27 anything important.
28
29 Each interface should have its own network, except in rare cases where
30 bridging is desired.
33 Tom Veldhouse
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list