From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface problem
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:24:04
1 > > > I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to get the system in question to
2 > > > behave like a solid-state router that you can plug an ethernet jack
3 > > > into and be on the network. How should eth1 and eth2 be configured
4 > > > in /etc/conf.d/net ?
5 > >
6 > > They should be configured as part of a bridge device (see the
7 > > bridging section of /etc/conf.d/net.example) and have the address
8 > > assigned (and DHCPD listing on) that bridge device.
9 >
10 > Except that this doesn't work on WLAN (MAC layer done by the WLAN
11 > adapter). But probably "proxy_arp" can help here. And subnet
12 > separation, of course. Just extending the netmask a bit and enabling
13 > proxy_arp would do the job. OTOH, it's also easy to configure the
14 > routes to the other subnets via DHCP. Just a matter of taste. In any
15 > case, it only works on IP layer.
16
17 Sounds like I'm getting in over my head. I think it would be smarter
18 for me to buy a $15 switch from NewEgg instead of trying to configure
19 my Gentoo router to use its extra NICs this way. Is there any reason
20 I wouldn't want to do that?
21
22 I've never used a switch before. Is there any proprietary software to
23 configure (like with a router), or is it just a button or two? I like
24 to keep my non-Gentoo software to a minimum, hence the Gentoo router.
25
26 - Grant
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list