From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface problem
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:45:14
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:06:21 -0500 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
4 <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > On Thursday 28 September 2006 21:43, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
7 > wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface
8 > problem':
9 > > I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to get the system in question to
10 > > behave like a solid-state router that you can plug an ethernet jack
11 > > into and be on the network. How should eth1 and eth2 be configured
12 > > in /etc/conf.d/net ?
13 >
14 > They should be configured as part of a bridge device (see the
15 > bridging section of /etc/conf.d/net.example) and have the address
16 > assigned (and DHCPD listing on) that bridge device.
17
18 Except that this doesn't work on WLAN (MAC layer done by the WLAN
19 adapter). But probably "proxy_arp" can help here. And subnet
20 separation, of course. Just extending the netmask a bit and enabling
21 proxy_arp would do the job. OTOH, it's also easy to configure the
22 routes to the other subnets via DHCP. Just a matter of taste. In any
23 case, it only works on IP layer.
24
25 -hwh
26 --