From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Rebuilding an NTFS directory structure
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:51:18
1 On Saturday 09 January 2010 12:34:26 Mick wrote:
2
3 > I have tried ntfsfix.
4
5 That's a new one to me - thanks.
6
7 > It resets the ntfs journal and when the drive is booted into MSWindows
8 > it'll run a chkdsk - make sure you do not interrupt this!
9
10 The disk in question is an external USB disk.
11
12 > In your friend's case you can force a chkdsk by right-clicking on the
13 > drive in Windows Explorer/Properties/Tools/Error-checking.
14
15 The only Windows system I can run at the moment is on my laptop; as soon as
16 I plug the disk in I get a BSoD, so that's no help. On this box (my nice new
17 i5 machine) Gentoo can't cope with USB storage devices at all - Plasma work-
18 space crashes immediately, together with Dolphin and Krunner; so I can't use
19 that either. Ubuntu on the same box can't see the disk when I plug it in.
20 The only Linux I can run that can see the disk is SysRescCd, either on the
21 i5 box or on my laptop. Its ntfsfix said it had run successfully, but I still
22 get the BSoD in WinXP, and ntfsck encounters problems it can't fix.
23
24 > Other than that I think we're into a file recovery mode involving tools
25 > like photorec and dd_rescue.
26
27 Photorec is what I've used to extract a few thousand files - the ones I
28 mentioned with the unhelpful names. Maybe dd_rescue will help. Otherwise
29 I'll give the disk back together with the rescued files and tell the lad to
30 format it VFAT.
31
32 > HTH.
33