From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Rebuilding an NTFS directory structure
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:35:20
1 On Saturday 09 January 2010 11:48:35 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Does anyone here know of a tool that can rebuild an NTFS directory
4 > structure? I've tried several tools I found with Google, but the only one
5 > that had any success has extracted hundreds of small text files and lots of
6 > mp3 and other files, but with arbitrary names and no indication of how it
7 > all hangs together. It doesn't look very useful to me.
8
9 I have tried ntfsfix. It resets the ntfs journal and when the drive is booted
10 into MSWindows it'll run a chkdsk - make sure you do not interrupt this!
11
12 In your friend's case you can force a chkdsk by right-clicking on the drive in
13 Windows Explorer/Properties/Tools/Error-checking.
14
15 Other than that I think we're into a file recovery mode involving tools like
16 photorec and dd_rescue.
17
18 HTH.
19 --