From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High load, idle CPU?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:22:09
1 On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Hi list!
4 >
5 > My virtual server seems to have a problem and I don't know how to find it.
6 >
7 > Today, while trying to create a new postgresql database I noticed that
8 > certain system operations seem to take ages. Normal work on the shell
9 > works just fine but for example accessing the postgresql server through
10 > psql, restarting tomcat, postgresql or zope all show the very same behavior:
11 > Execution freezes, the load average climbs to 1-1.9 and after a few
12 > minutes (maybe longer) the task finishes correctly. During all this
13 > time, top reports that the CPUs are 100% idle.
14 >
15 > Other services, for example rsyncd or openvpn, work normally. I also
16 > tried restarting the VM. Shutdown took maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Booting
17 > was much faster with only a few minutes until all services were up and
18 > running. However, it didn't solve the problem.
19 >
20 > So, my question is: How can I find out what is causing this? Can I
21 > somehow trace it? Find out why a process waits?
22
23 top, iotop, latencytop, powertop