From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] apache: what could cause "graceful restart requested"?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:42:11
1 On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > But is it actually necessary to do it? I mean everything between
3 > postrotate-endscript is done after the log file has been rotated.
4
5 The log file has been moved, but Apache still holds open the file
6 descriptor to the old log file--it will continue writing to that file,
7 even under its new name.
8
9 > So I do not understand why at that time apache must be reloaded.
10
11 The reload causes Apache to close the file descriptor, and then open
12 the file again. Since it *opens* the file by name, it will start with
13 a fresh log file.
16 > Moreover, because of that apache-reloading apc was emptied so it
17 > takes again some time till all php-scripts are in cache again...
18
19 What you really want is for the logrotate script to ask Apache to
20 flush its logs and reopen the file. I don't know offhand if Apache has
21 a way to do that, short of a graceful restart.
24 :wq