From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 03:07:59
1 Ian Bloss <ianlinkcd@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I've had more Seagates die over time than any other brand, I would
4 > recommend getting your money back asap and finding another brand.
5 >
6 > I work IT at a school and we no longer purchase seagate drives for
7 > their failure rate.
8
9 A friend of mine is using Seagate ES drives since many years in his
10 servers. He replaces all his drives after the five years warranty time
11 is up and as far as I can remember he told me, that he never had a
12 failure with all of his drives. He gave me two of his old drives and
13 I used them for some years in a RAID-1 array in one of my machines
14 till I replaced them with SSDs recently. They are still ok. The only
15 bad thing about these drives is their high noise level. Server drives
16 are usually located in a server room and not in an office and so they
17 are not designed to be silent. :-)
20 Regards
21 wabe