From: Ian Bloss <ianlinkcd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 03:27:24
1 When I get a chance next time I'm at work I'll attach a link to the piles
2 of dead seagates I've been collecting for target practice.
3
4 On Fri, Dec 18, 2015, 22:09 <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Ian Bloss <ianlinkcd@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > I've had more Seagates die over time than any other brand, I would
9 > > recommend getting your money back asap and finding another brand.
10 > >
11 > > I work IT at a school and we no longer purchase seagate drives for
12 > > their failure rate.
13 >
14 > A friend of mine is using Seagate ES drives since many years in his
15 > servers. He replaces all his drives after the five years warranty time
16 > is up and as far as I can remember he told me, that he never had a
17 > failure with all of his drives. He gave me two of his old drives and
18 > I used them for some years in a RAID-1 array in one of my machines
19 > till I replaced them with SSDs recently. They are still ok. The only
20 > bad thing about these drives is their high noise level. Server drives
21 > are usually located in a server room and not in an office and so they
22 > are not designed to be silent. :-)
23 >
24 > --
25 > Regards