From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox crashes on some www-pages on a newer Gentoo system
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 11:13:22
1 2018-07-27 13:57 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2 > On Friday, 27 July 2018 11:44:08 BST gevisz wrote:
3 >> 2018-07-27 12:44 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> > PAM is used to separate applications from the underlying
6 >> > authentication mechanisms. It checks OS user/account/passwd/session
7 >> > authentications when required by applications. This is the backbone
8 >> > of managing Linux authentications today, although some applications
9 >> > retain their own application level authentication mechanism (e.g. SSH).
10 >>
11 >> So, do you think that global -pam use flag can cause Firefox
12 >> and QupZilla to crash on loging web-pages?
13 >
14 > You can run them with strace to see if they are trying to access any pam
15 > modules, but I would think it unlikely.
16
17 Thank you for the tip. I will try to use strace after reading about it.
18
19 However, currently I already deleted grobal -pam use flag and
20 started to update world with the new settings. Some new packages
21 are currently installing and some other are recompiling.
22
23 > I bet this is something to do with the graphics drivers. Later versions of
24 > browsers are heavy on hardware acceleration and can stress some graphics
25 > drivers causing crashes like this. Geolocation and other pop ups use the GPU
26 > to create rendering effects and this could be the cause of the crash.
27
28 I doubt this because the same works on old Gentoo intallation on
29 the same computer. But I can not be sure, of course. :)