From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:18:23
1 On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:33:21 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > I am using the -j option for the first time now. I'm updating KDE. It
4 > > seems to work fine. It doesn't scroll all the stuff like with a
5 > > regular emerges but this new rig is so fast, I can't read it anyway.
6 > > I did have a package to fail and it spit out the error for me to
7 > > read.
8 >
9 > You don't need that if you have MAKEOPTS set in your make.conf, which
10 > is preferred. The -j option of emerge emerges multiple packages, while
11 > with MAKEOPTS set to "-j4" or whatever does a parallel build in the
12 > same package (meaning compiling multiple source files at the same time).
13
14 And how many CPU cores are used during the configure and install stages?
15
16 Using --jobs does a better job of making use of your CPU because one
17 package can use it fully for compiling while another is configuring.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Beware of the opinion of someone without any facts.