From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:35:03
1 On 01/27/2011 03:11 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > I am using the -j option for the first time now. I'm updating KDE. It
4 > seems to work fine. It doesn't scroll all the stuff like with a regular
5 > emerges but this new rig is so fast, I can't read it anyway. I did have
6 > a package to fail and it spit out the error for me to read.
7
8 You don't need that if you have MAKEOPTS set in your make.conf, which is
9 preferred. The -j option of emerge emerges multiple packages, while
10 with MAKEOPTS set to "-j4" or whatever does a parallel build in the same
11 package (meaning compiling multiple source files at the same time).
12
13 It's preferred because with "emerge -jN" the last package will only use
14 one CPU, while with "-jN" in MAKEOPTS even the last package will use N
15 CPUs. Furthermore, emerge can't always build N packages at the same
16 time because one can depend on the other, so it will have to wait until
17 the dependency is built.