From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:16:21
1 On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 01/27/2011 03:11 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> [...]
5 >> I am using the -j option for the first time now. I'm updating KDE. It
6 >> seems to work fine. It doesn't scroll all the stuff like with a regular
7 >> emerges but this new rig is so fast, I can't read it anyway. I did have
8 >> a package to fail and it spit out the error for me to read.
9 >
10 > You don't need that if you have MAKEOPTS set in your make.conf, which is
11 > preferred.  The -j option of emerge emerges multiple packages, while with
12 > MAKEOPTS set to "-j4" or whatever does a parallel build in the same package
13 > (meaning compiling multiple source files at the same time).
14 >
15 > It's preferred because with "emerge -jN" the last package will only use one
16 > CPU, while with "-jN" in MAKEOPTS even the last package will use N CPUs.
17 >  Furthermore, emerge can't always build N packages at the same time because
18 > one can depend on the other, so it will have to wait until the dependency is
19 > built.
20
21 I use MAKEOPTS = -j12 along with emerge --jobs for portage. Needless
22 to say my CPU is fully utilized during an emerge of KDE. :)