From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:40:16
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > I'd also try other video drivers, like nouveau or nv. I think you did
6 > > not do this yet, sorry if I just overlooked it. They may not work as
7 > > well as the nvidia-drivers for you, but this way you can rule out the
8 > > video drivers, or confirm it has something to do with them. I still
9 > > suspect they are the cause, and there is an obscure bug that only
10 > > Firefox triggers.
11 > >
12 > > Oh, and have you tried firefox-bin already?
13
14 > I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work. It has been so long
15 > since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use them. I'm
16 > not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo. I found the
17 > link on the xorg site. It wasn't very useful for me. I do have
18 > xf86-video-nv installed tho. I thought that was it. However, when I
19 > change the driver in xorg.conf to nv, no more GUI. That always worked
20 > in the past. Can you give me a light bulb moment here? ;-) I may be
21 > missing something obvious.
22
23 Sorry, no, I had an NVidia card years ago, now I'm an ATI user. When I had
24 trouble with the nvidia-drivers (I often had, with every kernel update I
25 feared it would happen again) I simply replaced the "nvidia" by "nv" in the
26 Drivers section, and all was fine, except for OpenGL speed.
27
28 > As for Firefox-bin, I'm not sure that would help Seamonkey. I could try
29 > it but not sure how that would help. Seamonkey would still crash.
30
31 Yes, but if firefox-bin would not crash, it might indicate a compiler
32 problem on your side, or something. Just trying to narrow things. And
33 there's also seamonkey-bin. But my guess is those will also crash.
34
35 Wonko