From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:43:05
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Here we go again. New thread, same problem. I'm compiling info over a
6 >> period of time here so bear with me. Info alert:
7 >>
8 > [...]
9 >
10 >> Right now, just look over my info, see if you see anything insane there
11 >> and if not, recommend something I can use besides flash. Maybe some
12 >> third party thing that works reasonably well. If youtube works, I
13 >> should be good to go since the sites I go to are using the same thing,
14 >> some even source youtube.
15 >>
16 > I'd also try other video drivers, like nouveau or nv. I think you did not do
17 > this yet, sorry if I just overlooked it. They may not work as well as the
18 > nvidia-drivers for you, but this way you can rule out the video drivers, or
19 > confirm it has something to do with them. I still suspect they are the
20 > cause, and there is an obscure bug that only Firefox triggers.
21 >
22 > Oh, and have you tried firefox-bin already?
23 >
24 > Wonko
30 I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work. It has been so long
31 since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use them. I'm
32 not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo. I found the
33 link on the xorg site. It wasn't very useful for me. I do have
34 xf86-video-nv installed tho. I thought that was it. However, when I
35 change the driver in xorg.conf to nv, no more GUI. That always worked
36 in the past. Can you give me a light bulb moment here? ;-) I may be
37 missing something obvious.
38
39 As for Firefox-bin, I'm not sure that would help Seamonkey. I could try
40 it but not sure how that would help. Seamonkey would still crash. Now
41 that I have the same tool I was using in Firefox, I'll most likely get
42 rid of Firefox. The download helper was the only reason I was using
43 Firefox.
44
45 Thanks.
46