From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:50:00
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 01/08/13 19:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
6 >> systemd thread.
7 >>
8 >> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
9 >> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
10 >>
11 >> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
12 >> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
13 >>
14 >> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
15 >>
16 >> Anyone?
19 > First of all, eudev only has IUSE="rule-generator" that is backported
20 > from udev-171.
21 > It's otherwise same in users point of view with sys-fs/udev, except
22 > sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and the code forwarding from
23 > upstream is not very reliable process.
24 > Futhermore sys-fs/udev is not 'old' but it's the new one and will be
25 > the default for OpenRC for long as OpenRC is in Portage.
26 > I don't want to bash anything or anybody but sys-fs/eudev as-is in the
27 > Portage is currently useless and a bit buggy.
31 That's odd. I been using eudev since like the second version that came
32 out and have had zero issues with it. Ask anyone here, if it had a
33 problem, I'd be found it by now. lol
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!