From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:09:34
1 On 02/08/13 00:49, Dale wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 01/08/13 19:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
7 >>> systemd thread.
8 >>>
9 >>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
10 >>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
11 >>>
12 >>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
13 >>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
14 >>>
15 >>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
16 >>>
17 >>> Anyone?
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> First of all, eudev only has IUSE="rule-generator" that is backported
21 >> from udev-171.
22 >> It's otherwise same in users point of view with sys-fs/udev, except
23 >> sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and the code forwarding from
24 >> upstream is not very reliable process.
25 >> Futhermore sys-fs/udev is not 'old' but it's the new one and will be
26 >> the default for OpenRC for long as OpenRC is in Portage.
27 >> I don't want to bash anything or anybody but sys-fs/eudev as-is in the
28 >> Portage is currently useless and a bit buggy.
32 > That's odd. I been using eudev since like the second version that came
33 > out and have had zero issues with it. Ask anyone here, if it had a
34 > problem, I'd be found it by now. lol
35
36 Then you haven't been following. It's multiple issues per week, if not
37 even day.
38 And like said, you don't gain anything by using sys-fs/eudev. The
39 package is useless.