From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev upgrade 208 > 212-r1, openrc USE flag changed to disabled?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:09:54
1 On 14/06/2014 16:31, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Thanks Alan, but...
3 >
4 > On 6/14/2014 10:16 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On 14/06/2014 15:30, Tanstaafl wrote:
6 >>> This clearly shows the -openrc USE flag being applied.
7 >>
8 >> You read it wrong. The USE flag is not being applied it's being removed
9 >> (the minus "-"),
10 >
11 > Well, I did include the hyphen(-), so I meant in the negative (removed)
12 > sense.
13 >
14 >> and the reason it is being removed is that it doesn't exist for the
15 >> new ebuild. That's what the parenthesis means.
16 >
17 > Ah... ok, I'd forgotten about the significance of the ()...
18 >
19 > But...
20 >
21 >>> Googling didn't reveal an answer...
22 >>
23 >> It's in the emerge man page. If not there, is one of the man pages from
24 >> portage
25 >
26 > Ok, that explains the meaning of the (), but doesn't explain this
27 > *change* satisfactorily (to a non-coder at least)...
30 This has already been answered by others, but to summarize:
31
32 The reason it is not obvious is that the answer is not in the output,
33 the output only gives a summary of what is to be done.
34
35 The answer is *always" in the ebuild and Changelog.
36 Sometimes it's on Google too, but that is unreliable.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com