From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:35:25
1 On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:22:05 -0600, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Me again. I'm thinking about writing a bash script that backs up my
5 > /home directory. I found a guide but before I read all that stuff and
6 > muddy up the waters, is this thing current and will it work fine with
7 > the bash Gentoo uses? Links to a even better guide would be good too.
8 > The guide I found is here:
9 >
10 > http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
11
12 The advanced bash scripting guide will be equally valid nowadays as it was
13 when it was first written. A few minor edges have changed in bash in the
14 latest times, but you are unlikely to get touched by these unless you are
15 using some rare feature. After all, bash is compatible with the original
16 bourne shell to a big extent, and that part of its behavior never changes.
17
18 If you truly want to learn bash, I say go for it and come back when/if you
19 have some problem.
22 Jesús Guerrero