From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about qemu QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 05:56:22
1 I'm usually pretty good a Google, but I've run into a brick wall with
2 qemu's QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS settings. I find that
3 wine on a 64-bit-only machine does not support 32-bit Windows programs.
4 Years ago, I was able to build a 32-bit qemu Gentoo guest, and run wine
5 32-bit mode on that. I need to try it again, but I have no clue what
6 QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS settings to use. I repeat,
7 I'm on a 64-bit Intel machine, and I want to emulate Intel 32-bit. Do
8 these variables refer to the guest architecture or the host
9 architecture?
10
11 In plain English, given "host" and "guest" architectures which of the
12 following combinations do I use...
13
14 QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=host QEMU_USER_TARGETS=host
15 QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=host QEMU_USER_TARGETS=guest
16 QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=guest QEMU_USER_TARGETS=host
17 QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=guest QEMU_USER_TARGETS=guest
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications