From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about qemu QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 06:11:58
1 On 22/07/2013 06:56, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm usually pretty good a Google, but I've run into a brick wall with
3 > qemu's QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS settings. I find that
4 > wine on a 64-bit-only machine does not support 32-bit Windows programs.
5 > Years ago, I was able to build a 32-bit qemu Gentoo guest, and run wine
6 > 32-bit mode on that. I need to try it again, but I have no clue what
7 > QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS and QEMU_USER_TARGETS settings to use. I repeat,
8 > I'm on a 64-bit Intel machine, and I want to emulate Intel 32-bit. Do
9 > these variables refer to the guest architecture or the host
10 > architecture?
11 >
12 > In plain English, given "host" and "guest" architectures which of the
13 > following combinations do I use...
14 >
15 > QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=host QEMU_USER_TARGETS=host
16 > QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=host QEMU_USER_TARGETS=guest
17 > QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=guest QEMU_USER_TARGETS=host
18 > QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS=guest QEMU_USER_TARGETS=guest
19 >
20 In your case, all that is required is QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386". Tip:
21 use the "-cpu host" parameter to expose the full capability of the host
22 CPU to the guest machine.
23
24 --Kerin