From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] NFSv4: 32-bit server versus 64-bit client?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 22:13:43
1 * walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [110804 17:26]:
2 > I'm trying to be a good gentoo netizen by nfs-sharing /usr/portage between
3 > my three local gentoo machines, and failing :(
4 >
5 > After weeks of fiddling, I discovered today that my problems come from
6 > using a 32-bit machine to serve my two 64-bit NFS clients(!)
7 >
8 > (I'll mention up front that NFSv3 works perfectly -- only NFSv4 is bad.)
9 >
10 > For reasons I don't know, the 64-bit client machines mount the 32-bit
11 > NFSv4 share with UID/GID 0xffffffe, which won't let even root write to
12 > the rw share.
13 >
14 > I googled an old thread mentioning that 0xffff is decimal 65534, a UID
15 > traditionally assigned to the user 'nobody'.
16 >
17 > Can anyone else reproduce my problem, or give a hint how to work around
18 > it?
19 >
20 > (This list is so quiet today I'm wondering if gmane.org is down.)
23 Does using the no_root_squash export option help on the machine
24 exporting the filesystem? (See man exports)
25
26 Todd