From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:00:42
1 On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:50:35 +0200, Matthias Bethke wrote:
2
3 > > Seriously: can someone more skilled than me explain why using
4 > > --resume-skipfirst and then trying to solve the unmerged packages
5 > > is/can be a bad idea? How can this break the system?
6 >
7 > Frankly I have no idea. I've heard that argument many times in the
8 > Paludis discussions but never even an attempt at an explanation that
9 > went beyond "it breaks your system". My understanding is that you can
10 > have two kinds of situation if an upgrade fails:
11 > a) the failed package is not a dependency of any other package
12 > b) the failed package is a dependency of at least one other package
13 > In case a) you get to keep the old version, no problem. In case b) the
14 > package that depends on the failed one can
15 > b1) work with the old version
16 > b2) require the upgrade (and say so in the ebuild)
17 > In case b1) things will continue working just fine. In case b2) you'll
18 > get another failed emerge as portage will notice the unmet dependency,
19 > so you get to keep the old version, no problem.
20 >
21 > Did I miss anything?
22
23 I think you missed an important part of the Gentoo philosophy, that it
24 gives you the loaded gun but it's up to you to not point it at your foot.
25 Not providing options that could potentially break a system in certain
26 circumstances is for a Nanny Distro. Here the ethos is "here's the tool,
27 read the man page and don't blame us if you do something stupid".
28
29 Does paludis also refuse to unmerge packages in the system set?
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Eagles may soar, but Wombles don't get sucked into jet engines