From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Custom ebuilds for CoreOS
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:33:22
1 On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 20:46:54 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
3 >
4 >> I guess my take is that eventually, linux will be very small, embedded
5 >> and a cluster/cloud environment is where most systems will plug in,
6 >> kinda like most modern cell phones. Hopefully, there'll be a systemd
7 >> centric version so that enables individuals and small companies can
8 >> remain "in the game".
9 >
10 > Given that CoreOS have sponsored some systemd development
11 > (systemd-networkd), I think it is reasonable to assume they plan to stick
12 > with systemd for the foreseeable future.
13
14 More importantly, CoreOS uses systemd to monitor/control the instances
15 inside containers like systemd-nspawn does, only in a more general and
16 powerful way.
17
18 I don't think you can currently run the CoreOS host with anything
19 other than systemd, and to make it so it would be a lot of work. From
20 [2]:
21
22 """
23 Within the CoreOS world, you will almost exclusively use systemd to
24 manage the lifecycle of your Docker containers.
25 """
26
27 Regards.
28
29 [2] https://coreos.com/docs/launching-containers/launching/getting-started-with-systemd/
30 --
31 Canek Peláez Valdés
32 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias