From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:35:54
1 On 12/19/2016 01:09 PM, Andrej Rode wrote:
2 >
3 >>> It is even more frustrating that these so-called predictable network
4 >>> names actually can change on a reboot, it's happened to me more than
5 >>> once when multiple network cards are detected in a different order.
6 >
7 > Then you might found a bug? With predictable network names the name of
8 > your device depends on the PCIe slot/address it is in. If you change
9 > positions in the board your names should change, not on reboot.
10 >
11 > And you might believe it or not, running Linux on servers is much more
12 > popular than running Linux on your home desktop. Thus I'd guess things
13 > tend to be made easier for people with more than one network card.
14 > Certainly you don't want rely on random device enumeration order on
15 > reboot if you run a webserver with multiple network devices.
16 >
17 > If you want to disable this on hosts running systemd read [0].
18 >
19 > Cheers,
20 > Andrej
21 >
22 > [0]
23 > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
26 It could be I found a bug. After a reboot it went from the normal enp0s1
27 (or whatever) to eno1677789 or something ridiculous. I had this happen
28 on two different machines.
29
30 I tried systemd on a couple machines to see what the hubbub was about,
31 and on one machine it crashed on reboot. I probably forgot something,
32 but alas, I'd already removed openrc and found out about the binary
33 logs. I had no way to download something that supported systemd at the
34 time so I could view the log.
35
36 Went back to openrc on that machine and disabled that stupid predictable
37 name junk. When you only have one network interface, it's rather silly.
38 That should have been by default off, server administrators could turn
39 it back on.
40
41 For what it's worth, systemd works fine on my 11-year-old laptop. It had
42 issues with my desktop (which is almost 9 years old now) but I really
43 don't know if it was related to mdadm, or ??? I thought I had it figured
44 out on my desktop but on reboot systemd wouldn't mark my IMSM mdadm
45 array as clean leading to a disk thrashing every time I rebooted, making
46 my computer almost unusable.
47
48 Dan