From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Rusty problems
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:53:19
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 I'm having problems building rust.
4
5 I build everything in a ram disk, and last night my 13 Gb ram disk
6 proved too small to build rust in. So I increased its size to 14 Gb,
7 and tried again this evening. Same result. The pre-check on the disk
8 size gave an OK both times, and both runs lasted about 45 minutes before
9 running out of space.
10
11 Help! What am I supposed to do? I've got 16 Gb RAM (I'm _not_ going to
12 use the word "only" here), and wondering just how big a chunk a ram disk
13 can take out of that before the machine siezes up altogether. But if I
14 increase the ram disk to 15 Gb, even assuming it'd work, it's only going
15 to be a small number of releases before the clever people at rust
16 increase their bloat even more.
17
18 I know I could plump for the -bin package. Maybe I should. But before
19 I do that, is it possible to redirect this one ebuild away from
20 /var/tmp/portage (my ram disk) without disturbing the other builds? If
21 so, how would I do this (or where should I look for documentation)?
22
23 Thanks for the help!
26 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).