From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rusty problems
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:04:18
1 On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 10:53:11 PM CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I'm having problems building rust.
5 >
6 > I build everything in a ram disk, and last night my 13 Gb ram disk
7 > proved too small to build rust in. So I increased its size to 14 Gb,
8 > and tried again this evening. Same result. The pre-check on the disk
9 > size gave an OK both times, and both runs lasted about 45 minutes before
10 > running out of space.
11 >
12 > Help! What am I supposed to do? I've got 16 Gb RAM (I'm _not_ going to
13 > use the word "only" here), and wondering just how big a chunk a ram disk
14 > can take out of that before the machine siezes up altogether. But if I
15 > increase the ram disk to 15 Gb, even assuming it'd work, it's only going
16 > to be a small number of releases before the clever people at rust
17 > increase their bloat even more.
18 >
19 > I know I could plump for the -bin package. Maybe I should. But before
20 > I do that, is it possible to redirect this one ebuild away from
21 > /var/tmp/portage (my ram disk) without disturbing the other builds? If
22 > so, how would I do this (or where should I look for documentation)?
23 >
24 > Thanks for the help!
25
26 I managed to get it to compile with a 16GB ramdisk using "system-llvm":
29 $ grep -r rust /etc/portage
30 /etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask:dev-lang/rust -system-llvm
31 /etc/portage/package.use/rust:dev-lang/rust system-llvm parallel-compiler
32
33 It claims it wants:
34 Checking for at least 13312 MiB
35
36 From the build-log:
37
38 ======
39 * Final size of build directory: 12344956 KiB ( 11.7 GiB)
40 * Final size of installed tree: 366492 KiB (357.9 MiB)
41
42 * The ebuild is installing to one or more unexpected paths:
43 *
44 * /usr/share/doc/rust-1.51.0
45 *
46 * Please fix the ebuild to use correct FHS/Gentoo policy paths.
48
49 Hope this helps,
50
51 Joost