From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multiple emerge --sync on the same day?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:19:56
1 On 5/15/06, de Almeida, Valmor F. <dealmeidav@××××.gov> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > I've been installing gentoo on 16, almost identical PC's. I wanted to do
6 > a manual install once and clone the rest but I am having problems with
7 > rebooting a gentoo box with the same livecd I used to install gentoo in
8 > the first place (I've also tried with a fresh livecd). Booting with the
9 > livecd would allow me to get an image of the hard drive to use for
10 > cloning. I don't know an alternative way.
11 >
12 > I am planning to get a few machines going on a manual installation while
13 > I troubleshoot the livecd problem. These machines are behind a router
14 > and there will be multiple emerge --sync requests coming from the same
15 > IP. Is this a problem? I read somewhere that the same machine should not
16 > be doing more than one emerge --sync per day.
19 If all your computers have the same configurantion (or, as you said,
20 very similar), you could build ONE box, set it to be a BINHOST, use a
21 network shared dir for distfiles, set distcc, set ccache (all while
22 installing) and use it as a local RSYNC server, this would give you:
23
24 1) Super fast install at the other machines.
25 2) Less stress on your backbone.
26 4) Fast compiles at the host with all the machines as distcc servers.
27 3) No compile time at all BINHOST clients.
30 Daniel da Veiga
31 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list