From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE slow shutdown
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 04:33:20
1 080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
2 M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
3 M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
4 VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
5 VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
6 VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
7 M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
8 VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting down
9 VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my case,
10 VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing kdm.log.
11 VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
12 VAH> Are you saving sessions?
13
14 I've had the same problem for some time.
15 There was 1 version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
16 but then it started again (now 3.5.9). It saves 11 apps on 10 desktops,
17 but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
18 after all, it compiles Kdelibs in 17 min !
19 In my case, it isn't kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
20 (I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).
21
22 One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
23 but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list