From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 02:03:07
1 On 03/11/2013 06:45 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:22:39AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
3 >
4 >> You are being over-simplistic.
5 >>
6 >> Lack of IPv4 address space *caused* NAT to happen, the two are
7 >> inextricably intertwined.
8 >
9 > Agreed. But we shouldn't be pointing out that NAT has partially
10 > solved the problem, and giving people false hope that NAT will solve
11 > the shortage problem forever.
12
13 The truth of the matter is that it kinda does, for most of these people.
14 For most of those for whom it doesn't, there are (and will be) plenty of
15 third-party services looking to allow them to throw money at the problem
16 for an opaque solution. (It's like sausage; it works, it's nutritious,
17 it tastes great...but YMMV if you see how it's made.)
18
19 For small businesses for whom the IP shortage already crowded out of
20 traditional network management, the Cloud was born. Large businesses
21 make a mess of their networks, but hobble along.
22
23 So workarounds were developed. What NAT has *done*, though, is force a
24 stratification and classification of services, making vast swaths of
25 network applications impossible or incredibly niche.
26
27 If one doesn't acknowledge the truth of the matter, one gets nailed to
28 the wall with it when someone smart enough to consider it brings it up
29 as a counterpoint.
30
31 > We should be pounding away on the fact that we're running out of IP
32 > addresses... period... end of story. If people ask about NAT, then
33 > mention that the undersupply will be so bad that even NAT won't
34 > help.
35
36 In my presentations, I've stopped bothering to wait for people to ask
37 about NAT, because it starts off in their minds from nearly the
38 beginning--and until they get that question answered, most of what I say
39 washes past them as ancillary and not as important as the question
40 pressing on their minds.
43 >> Even worse, people now have NAT conflated with all sorts of other
44 >> things. Like for example NAT and security.
45 >
46 > That's why I wwant to avoid that propaganda battle. It's been lost
47 > already. Deal with it. Don't waste time and effort on it. Put your
48 > effort into pounding away on a simple issue that people do
49 > understand... we're running out of IP addresses.
50
51 That's the thing. We're running out, we've *run* out. Past tense. I keep
52 pointing to my friend whose ISP hands him RFC1918 addresses as an
53 example, because that's just the way things are. I can also point to
54 mobile carriers--most local network regions hand out RFC1918 addresses
55 for IPv4, which means you're double-NATting if you use your phone to
56 share your network connection.
57
58 At one point a couple *years* ago, my T-Mobile phone told me it had what
59 I thought was a public IPv4 address...but it turned out to be an address
60 owned by some security-related branch of the British government who
61 didn't advertise routes, and so T-Mobile was able to use British
62 government netblocks internally as a kind of extension to RFC1918 space.
63
64 Around the same time, a friend's Verizon phone in the area had a legit
65 public IPv4 address if and only if he was sharing his network connection
66 at that moment...otherwise Verizon would switch him back to an RFC1918
67 address.
68
69 So, I say again, we've run out of IPv4 addresses. Past tense. What's
70 left after that is to explain why most of the people you'll ever talk to
71 don't feel pain from it, and explain to them why their anaesthetic is
72 keeping them from realizing their network is paraplegic.
75 >> NAT is the context of an IPv6 discussion is *very* relevant, it's
76 >> one of the points you have to raise to illustrate what bits inside
77 >> people's heads needs to be identified and changed.
78 >>
79 >> Until you change the content of people's heads, IPv6 is just not
80 >> going to happen.
81 >
82 > I disagree with you there. IPV6 adoption will be driven by shortage
83 > of addresses, which people can understand.
84
85 I agree. The problem is that the IPv4 network as it exists today is
86 highly optimized for asymmetric client-server topologies, and the pains
87 and breakages will largely go unnoticed or unattributed due to the
88 layers upon layers of abstractions, band-aids and jerry-rigging.
89
90 As a consequence, it's necessary to help people understand what they're
91 missing.
92
93 > It will not be accomplished by sermons about the evils of NAT whilst
94 > people's eyes glaze over. "A preachment, dear friends, you are about
95 > to receive, is on John Barleycorn, Nicotine, and the Temptations of
96 > NAT".
97
98 I don't tend to encounter peoples' eyes glazing over. All my
99 presentations are in Q&A format. There's one guy who's gone to four of
100 them, because, as he told me, "it's different every time."
103 > And if it comes down to it, I'd much rather have IPV6 with IPV6 NAT
104 > being available, rather than no IPV6.
105
106 Sure. I think IPv6 NAT has its place, but I personally feel it should be
107 done above layer 3, in application-layer gateways. If you're in a
108 scenario where you need IPv6 NAT, you're almost certainly in a scenario
109 where you would benefit from the additional features an ALG would give you.