From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 01:43:33
1 Dale wrote:
2 > John Covici wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:49:21 -0400,
4 >> Dale wrote:
5 >>> Howdy,
6 >>>
7 >>> I got the drive and pvmove is doing its thing.  I would like to unplug
8 >>> one of the drives and physically move them around without shutting down
9 >>> my system.  Is there a way to tell LVM to disable the drives while I'm
10 >>> doing this and restart them when done?  I found the command vgchange -a
11 >>> n<name> but I'm not sure if that is correct.  Honestly, I want to be
12 >>> really sure before I unplug things.  I assume the "n" changes to "y" to
13 >>> restart them?
14 >>>
15 >>> Thanks.
16 >>>
17 >>> Dale
18 >>>
19 >>> :-)  :-)
20 >>>
21 >>> P. S.  BTW, the drive has passed two new tests with no error.  The tests
22 >>> are slower than usual tho.  I'm not sure why tho.
23 >>>
24 >> No, you can't do that till the pmove is over.
27 > Yea.  I was planning to wait until pvmove was done.  It actually
28 > finished not to long after I sent the message.  It was what prompted me
29 > to see if this is possible.  I found a page that talks about it but the
30 > info didn't explain it much.  I'm pretty sure that is the right command
31 > but given the limited info, I wasn't sure.  Reading the man page helped
32 > a little but still wasn't 100% sure then either.  Thing is, I only have
33 > to unplug and move one of the two drives on that group.
34 >
35 > Sounds like the right command tho.  If not, someone speak up.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
39 > :-)  :-)
43 For anyone searching and running up on this thread.  That command did
44 work to disable the drive.  I'm not sure if I should have used pvchange
45 to disable /dev/sdk1 or not.  The problem I did run into was getting it
46 back.  I ran the command to enable it but it didn't work as expected.  I
47 had files missing.  So, I unmounted it, ran pvscan, vgscan and lvscan in
48 that order.  I then ran the command above again to be sure and remounted
49 the LV group.  It worked that time. All files were there.  So, either
50 one has to rescan them or I should have also ran pvchange to disable as
51 well.  Maybe someone else can expand on this.
52
53 While I'm at it.  Is there a way to reset the sdk part?  The old was sdd
54 and I was hoping when I moved the drive, it would change with it.  The
55 reason is, usually when I hook up my external drives, they use sdk.  I'm
56 sort of set up for that.  A couple other things use sdk as well.  I'm
57 not sure if there is a easy way to do that or not.  Wonder if it will
58 reset when I reboot???
59
60 Dale
61