From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo with a systemd profile
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:40:02
1 On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:13:19 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > > Did you read this part?
4 > >
5 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Optional:_Using_systemd
6 >
7 > Yes I did and had the systemd wiki page on a chromium tab while
8 > installing.
9 >
10 > > It's been some months since I last did this, but I don't recall any
11 > > serious conflicts.
12 > >
13 > > Why not just unmerge udev to avoid the blockage?
14 >
15 > I tried via depclean. I wanted to ask here before actually trying
16 > --unmerge, which seems rather brutal. I actually had a tiny part in the
17 > systemd wiki and remember that you could switch from an openrc system to
18 > systemd without unmerging.
19
20 Sometimes you need to be brutal. Remember that udev is part of systemd,
21 which is why you cannot have both packages installed. After unmerging
22 udev, emerging systemd brings it back anyway. Your only window of risk is
23 something happening between those two operations, but since you are still
24 working in a chroot at this point, even that wouldn't matter.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Adolescence, n.: The stage between puberty and adultery.