From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:25:17
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The problem is, if the hard drives fills up, most won't know that they
4 >> can use LVM to expand it by adding a new drive. Since they don't know
5 >> what LVM is, they don't know about the option they have and won't use it
6 >> since they don't know it exists.
7 > Honestly, I'm not sure how many of these users will be installing
8 > Ubuntu in the first place.
9 >
10 > However, if they do use LVM and they end up asking somebody
11 > knowledgeable for help, that person will be very happy to find that
12 > the system has LVM installed.
13 >
14 > If there were some kind of trade-off I'd see the argument, but the
15 > worst case here is just that they may or may not need it. For
16 > something with some benefit and almost no drawback that seems like a
17 > wrong reason to avoid LVM.
20 Even I've installed Ubuntu and friends for others in the past and it has
21 LVM on it. Thing is, the person that actually uses the computer doesn't
22 even know it exists. They also wouldn't know how to install Linux, of
23 any flavor, or windoze either for that matter. Far to many only know
24 how to push the button on the front to turn it on.
25
26 Sure, it may help a very tiny percentage of people but I suspect it will
27 be tiny. Mostly, for the same reasons I pointed out in another reply on
28 this thread.
29
30 Dale
31