From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google - can not open any link
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:23:42
1 On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/09/12 09:30, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links in
5 >>> google search.
8 >> As I said, I have disabled cookies and javascript for goolge.de (using
9 >> cookiemonster an noscript). But as I sometimes use google maps, I allow
10 >> javascript on google.com and then use google.com for maps - with cookies
11 >> disalbed. And here I have the same issue as you have, I cannot open the
12 >> links, but the strange thing is: it's not all the time, sometimes it
13 >> works, sometimes it does not.
14 >>
15 >> Who knows what google guys were doing. Maybe they left a screw driver in
16 >> there or something :)
19 > I just got a hint from Gentoo forum.  It seems to me others got hit by the
20 > same issue.
21 > ----quote------
22 > Google is getting crappier and crappier by the day. What happened to the
23 > lean, mean, simple search engine that everyone fell in love with? Now
24 > they're just bloating it with unnecessary javascript crap.
25 >
26 > Hmm, one idea: Do you accept cookies from google? I don't. If you don't
27 > either, try activating them and see if it works then.
28 > ------end quote------
29 >
30 > I'm switching to Bing search engine. It seems to me Google is getting evil
31 > now.
32
33 I very much like DuckDuckGo. It uses Bing as its back-end, but applies
34 filters, etc, to clean out known spam and copy-and-ad sites. If I
35 can't find something with DuckDuckGo, then I try Google as a followup.
36 (DDG doesn't handle long literals very well; queries for things like
37 long model numbers don't usually work out.)
38
39 You can also use it as a calculator, like you can Google, but it
40 defers calculations (and other relevant things) to Wolfram Alpha.
41 Queries on some other things will quote verbatim Wikipedia, and you
42 can click through to get to the WP page.
43
44 It's very nice.
47 :wq